A good designer will start by asking you questions about your business & preferences.
- Who is your target market (age, demographics, etc)?
- What colors would you like to incorporate in your branding scheme?
- What sort of fonts do you like?
- What sort of marketing are you looking to do (business cards, flyers, website)?
- Do you have an idea of what you’d like your logo and branding to look like or do you want a few options?
- What styles of logos or other designs do you like?
After you and your designer talk about these things, they will send you an initial design.
Your designer will adjust the design based on your feedback. (How to Give Good Feedback to a Designer).
After you are happy with the initial design you requested, your designer will base further designs and marketing off of this and hopefully help you come up with a branding package you’ll love.